Using A Neti Pot
Step by step guide:
- Mix your irrigation solution. The temperature of the water should be luke warm and suitable for drinking. Add the required amount of salt and stir until the salt is fully dissolved. Check the water temperature on the back of your hand before you put any saline into your nose. You should mix the solution so that the strength of the saline solution should be either isotonic or hypertonic, according to your needs.
- Lean over a sink.
- Insert nozzle of neti pot or other device into a nostril. The connection between your nostril and the neti pot should be water-tight, i.e., the nostril should be `plugged'.
- Look down at the plug hole.
- Turn head towards the neti pot. So that the water pours into the nostril and flows through the nose and out through the other nostril. If using a bulb syringe you will need to squeeze it to start the flow.
- Breathe through the mouth whilst irrigating the nasal passages. Continue until you can no longer see mucus in the water, or until you believe you have used half of your pot (if you intend to repeat with the other nostril).
- OPTIONAL: Repeat steps 3 - 6 with the other nostril.
- Close one nostril with your finger.
- Snort outwards to expel residual water left in the nasal cavities.
- Repeat steps 1 - 2 with the other nostril.
- Keep leaning over the sink for a while with your nose facing downwards. This is to let any remaining water drain down towards the nostrils.
- Gently blow your nose. Consider repeating steps 1 - 3.
Would you like to receive our most current information and offers by e-mail? Enter your e-mail address here to sign up.
Most Popular Solutions
If you would like us to provide your surgery with our information leaflets, please complete the on-line request form.
Do you need more information for your article or you want to organise an interview? Contact our media desk.